Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Dinner Party

When my Mother passed away several years ago, I was going through her things and found quite a few items that she had obviously put away to use for some special occasion, but actually never used.

Last night, we had some friends over for dinner.  When deciding how to set the table, I decided to use our "good" china.  When I got married, thirty something years ago, I thought that everyone registered for china.  So, we registered for china.  More everyday dishes would have been a wiser choice, but being young and naive, I did what I thought I was supposed to do.  Don't get me wrong, the china is very nice and formal.  But since our wedding, I think that it has been used maybe, three times.  It just wasn't practical to use for family dinners and with four kids it wasn't even an option.  The big family get togethers had many more family members than I had dishes at all.  So we used paper plates most of the time because I never really enjoyed doing dishes that much.  But last night, I decided that it would be nice to actually use the china before I died, and my children used it for the family get together after my funeral before they found some way to discard of it.

It actually made the evening rather special and I plan to use my china on many other occasions. Come to think of it, there are several other things that I think I will begin using and not just save for some rainy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment